Laser treatment in Cape Town has quickly risen in popularity as a non-invasive way to heal and rejuvenate skin from the inside out. The change that our laser treatments Cape Town branch brings is monumental. These cosmetic services are anything but superficial – providing our Cape Town clients with glowing skin they can feel comfortable in.
Achieving dewy, clear skin is difficult for many people. Genetics, diet, skincare routine, fitness, and countless other factors determine how your skin look and feels. It can be overwhelming and frustrating to deal with stubborn issues such as scarring and hyperpigmentation. Luckily our laser treatment Cape Town branch offers a solution to stubborn skin problems. With only a few sessions, your skin can begin healing issues that may be impacting your self-confidence.
We offer several laser skin treatments to help with myriad issues, from hair removal to treating varicose veins and minimising the appearance of scars. There is a wide variety of laser treatments in Cape Town for you to choose from, and NuSkinnovation is here to tell you a little bit more about how we can help you. This guide breaks down the laser skin treatments available at our NuSkinnovation laser treatment Cape Town clinic, as well as how to prepare for each of them.
Nordlys Candela And Laser System
Intense pulsed light, also referred to as IPL, is commonly used at our cosmetic laser clinic. It is a form of light therapy that is used to treat various skin issues. IPL is a non-invasive treatment that is known to improve appearance for up to a year following the completion of the recommended number of sessions and can be used on a number of areas of the body, including the face and hands.
IPL works by using a hand-held flashgun that delivers intense broad-spectrum pulses of light to targeted areas. The spectral range of the light ensures it is effective without damaging the skin. The spectral range, however, is intense enough to target chromophores like oxyhemoglobin in blood vessels. The light heats the chromophores enough to destroy them, so they are reabsorbed back into the body.
Some skin issues that can be treated with IPL include the following:
- enlarged pores
- uneven skin tone
- spider veins and/or rosacea
- sun damage
- stretch marks
Once a consultation has been booked, your NuSkinnovation specialist will examine the area or areas you wish to treat with IPL.
There are, however, some factors to keep in mind that may mean the treatment may not achieve optimal results. These include:
- Certain acne medications like Accutane
- Suffering from a skin resurfacing disorder
- Having active acne flare-ups
- Having a recent and severe sunburn
- Being prone to keloid scarring
- Being diabetic
- Suffering from a blood clotting disorder
Always ensure that you speak to your laser treatment Cape Town specialist about potential complications and side effects before undergoing the procedure.
To prepare for IPL treatments, specialists will usually request that the patient avoid the following for the two weeks leading up to the treatment:
- No collagen injections
- No sun tanning or tanning beds
- No chemical peels
- No waxing (depending on the areas being treated)
It is recommended to avoid applying perfumes or deodorants to the treatment area. Medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements must also be avoided in the week before the procedure. These medications are anticoagulants, meaning they thin blood and increase the risk of bruising.
NuSkinnovation’s specialists are cautious when treating areas that have received fat injections and some fillers. NuSkinnovation recommends that fat injections, fillers and Botulinum toxin injections should be done 10 days prior or 10 days after your laser appointment.
Fotona Timewalker 4D Pro
Fotona is an aesthetic laser treatment developer that is known for its non-invasive facelift. This procedure is also known as Fotona Tightsculpting. The laser works by stimulating the production of collagen, rejuvenating the skin from the inside. Collagen is a protein that naturally occurs in the body. It is known as the building block protein of the body, and is responsible for supporting various systems, including upholding skin’s elasticity, creating protective coverings around vital organs and developing ligaments and tendons.
There are a number of factors that impact how much collagen our bodies produce, including ageing and lifestyle choices such as smoking. The effects of the treatment are immediate, and because it is non-invasive, there is no downtime following the procedure. While the treatment near-instantly lifts and helps skin achieve a more youthful and plumper look, the procedure is usually carried out over a number of sessions to achieve optimal results.
Each treatment session lasts between 30 minutes to 45 minutes and begins on the inside of the mouth. Many who have had the laser treatment report no feelings of pain or discomfort during or after the session. When working within the mouth, the treatment targets oral mucous membranes, increasing the production of collagen. As the skin firms, the nasolabial folds plumpen, creating a youthful appearance much like fillers would but relying solely on the body’s stimulated collagen production.
The treatment then moves on to targeting deeper lines, hyperpigmentation and dark spots. This step restores the skin’s smoother texture and even complexion. The next step concentrates on utilising a brushing technique that rapidly applies heat to the skin. This creates an overall tightening effect to the entire face and creates natural firmness.
The final step of the treatment is a light chemical peel that smooths out surface-level imperfections such as dull or rough skin, leaving you with a youthful glow. Typically, it is recommended that an initial two to four sessions are completed before moving on to “maintenance” sessions every six months.
There are a number of preparation steps to be taken before your Fotona laser treatment at Cape Town.
Discuss your medical history with your laser treatment specialist. Be sure to mention any previous cosmetic procedures you have undergone, whether invasive or non-invasive. There is a chance you may not be eligible for the Fotona procedure if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a weak immune system.
- Avoid smoking for at least two weeks before the procedure. Smoking impedes the body’s ability to heal as quickly as it should, as it damages the body’s natural collagen production.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for at least two weeks before your appointment as well. Alcohol can cause dehydration. Adequate hydration is vital in preparing for a Tightsculpt procedure, as this will help your body regulate temperature during the treatment.
- Avoid unprotected sun exposure for two days before the treatment. Sun damage can cause skin to be more sensitive during the procedure.
- On the day of the treatment, ensure your clothing is loose and comfortable.
- Keep the areas of treatment clean and free of makeup, perfumes and deodorant.
Fotona StarWalker MAQX
Fotona StarWalker MAQX treatments are among the most popular at NuSkinnovation. This laser is also manufactured by the same company that created the Fotona Timewalker 4D Pro. StarWalker treatments specifically focus on using minimally invasive heat to treat a wide range of cosmetic issues caused by pigmentation. It also has a benefit that not many other laser treatments have; the ability to treat active acne.
The Starwalker can treat and remedy issues such as tattoo removal, reducing the appearance of freckles, and treating conditions such as melasma, redness, pigmented lesions, vascular lesions, and a number of skin conditions caused by sun damage.
The treatment uses minimally invasive heat to effectively disintegrate pigment from the targeted areas, breaking the pigment down over a number of sessions. While the laser utilises heat to rid the body of pigments, the treatment is considered minimally uncomfortable and has built-in protection to ensure the laser is targeted and precise.
While the treatment is not considered painful for shorter sessions, longer sessions such as those for scar reduction and tattoo removal, tend to stretch to 30 minutes or longer. For sessions of this length, your laser treatment Cape Town specialist is likely to apply a numbing cream to the targeted areas to minimise discomfort.
Downtime depends on the specific StarWalker treatment you are interested in, and are as follows:
- Laser toning usually has minimal downtime, but it is common to have a red face immediately after the procedure. If you have social activities following your procedure, you can apply makeup to cover up any redness.
- Spot treatment procedures commonly produce temporary hyperpigmentation as the spots heal and scab over. It usually takes 10 days for these scabs to heal and fall off.
- Light textural procedures also result in temporary increased redness, but this usually subsides after 24 – 48 hours.
- Scar treatment, which is considered a harsh textural rejuvenation, leaves the face red for between three and seven days. It is recommended to have the procedure done at least a week before any social obligations, as the healing also requires that no makeup be applied to the skin as it heals.
Between four and six sessions are needed to achieve optimal results, and some conditions such as melasma require maintenance sessions. There are specific guidelines for each StarWalker laser treatment.
Laser Treatment: Before The Procedure
There are a number of simple steps that can be followed to minimise the impact of laser treatments on your skin and reduce recovery time. While there are a number of laser treatments in Cape Town that have minimal impact on pain, discomfort, or downtime, it is still important to follow the advice of your laser specialist to ensure there is no room for complications.
It is vital to follow your specialist’s instructions on how to take care of your skin before any laser procedure, not only to minimise the chance of complications but also to achieve optimal results from the treatment.
Here are some general steps to consider before your laser treatment:
Ensure the area of treatment is clean before your appointment. This does not only mean keeping it clean from makeup and perfume but keeping it clean from oils and sweat.
- Wear comfortable clothing, even if your appointment is short. Laser treatments can cause a spike in body temperature, so wearing loose, comfortable clothing will ensure your body is able to adequately cool down during the treatment.
- Do not exfoliate in the lead-up to your appointment. Exfoliating, whether this be through the use of micro-beads, retinoids, or acids, can cause your skin to be much more sensitive than usual during your laser treatment Cape Town service. This makes the skin more susceptible to discomfort or pain during the procedure.
- If your skin is prone to breakouts, especially cold sores, it may be a good idea to discuss using antibiotics in the lead-up to your laser treatment procedure. Always disclose to your specialist if you are prone to cold sores or have any other skin condition, as this may impact the treatments you are eligible for.